Riding in the central Florida coastline areas benefit us in several ways. Most of us are 15 minutes from Florida cattle county which has numerous infrequently traveled two and some four lane roads. You see various wildlife, sometimes standing in the middle of the road(!), to include ibis, cranes, turkeys, deer, occasional gators flopping around in nearby lakes and many smaller four legged animals. We are close to various state and national refuges, preserves and conservation areas.
Generally, FL SR 192 out of Melbourne, SRs 50 and 528 up north and 60 in the south will take you to St. Cloud, Kissimmee, Orlando or points north, or Lakeland and over to Tampa in the southern areas. Expanding outward, some members ride to Lake Okeechobee or to Sebring and have camped overnite. Others have ridden north and camped at Camp Blanding in support of several BMW Riders of NE Florida motorcycle events.
There are numerous ride options from the Melbourne area. Geographically, one has to be careful of launching towards Orlando during rush hour and inability to go any further east than A1A. These constraints usually dictate 80-140 mile round trip rides, as shown below:
- Rides to and along A1A, either going north thru beach communities to Port Canaveral and crossing over Banana and Indian Rivers, or south on A1A to Vero Beach and points south, e.g. Fort Pierce.
- SR 192 East to US 1, then south along the Indian River lagoon to Vero Beach and south
- SR 192 West to St. Cloud, then back to Melbourne
- SR 192 West to Deer Park Rd (419), then north to Nova Rd (532) to W. King Street (520), either going east to I-95 or northwest to E. Colonial into Orlando (50)
- SR 192 West to Deer Park Rd (419), then north to Nova Rd (532). Turn left on Nova going west on 532, winding back to SR 192. Either go west to St. Cloud or east back to Melbourne.
- SR 192 West to 441, then go south to SR 60 near Yeehaw Junction either going east towards Vero Beach or west towards Lakeland.
- Departing Yeehaw Junction and going east on SR 60, to 512 north to Fellsmere and get on 507 north (becomes Babcock) towards Melbourne